RE: IML: Imperials on a Flatbed

Speaking of Imperials bouncing on flatbeds, each of my '65's have ridden my 18' trailer for over 700 miles, the parts car from North Carolina and the driver from Minnesota. I had the front of the cars right up against the tool bin mounted on the tongue framework; with this, the rear bumper hung over about a foot past the very end of the trailer, still legal but made me very antsy. I worried the whole way home with the parts car, then once that was under my belt, felt more at ease with the driver trip.

I had looked at buying a used tow dolly from a neighbor before the trip, thinking that the dolly would present less weight over all to my tow vehicle as the trailer itself is over 1000 pounds. But in looking at the dolly I just felt that it might not hold up, plus I was picking up that parts car from a junkyard and had no idea if the rear end would turn free, state of tires and wheels, etc. Good thing too: it initially was meant to be a project found for me by a friend, but once I got there and was told by the junyard proprietor that it had been sitting there in the same place for 22 years, I realized it was going to be for parts only. They used their pole truck to lift it up onto the trailer.

The only real problem I had on the way home with the black driver car was being badgered at nearly every gas stop by derbiers.

Bill & Kathi Parker, South Central Indiana
'56 Chrysler Windsor; '60 Chrysler Saratoga; '62 Plymouth Max Wedge; '64 Dart convertible; '65 Barracuda \6; '65 Imperial; '68 Barracuda FB 340-S; '69 Barracuda FB now 360; '70 Challenger; '72 Cuda '340