From: "Dick Benjamin" <dickb@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 9:33 PM
Subject: RE: IML: Imperials on a tow dolly

Check in your owner's manual; that will tell you if your transmission has a
rear pump. If the car can be "push started", then it has a rear pump, and
you can safely tow it with the rear wheels down, at least for the distance
you are contemplating.  I'm not sure whether the 64 or the 65 was the last
year for a rear pump, but I think it was 65.

If you decide to use a tow truck, I advise letting him pick it up at the
front.  Picking these cars up from the rear adds a lot of extra weight to
the front suspension - I have broken a front spindle doing exactly that,
when the towed car slammed into a pot hole.

When the tow truck picks it up from the front, there is also weight transfer
to the back, but the tow truck has most of the weight of a front engine car,
and the rear suspension is a lot less complicated and vulnerable to an
overload.

However, regarding the tow dollies, most of them are rated for a 3500 pound
vehicle, maximum, and your car is way over that.  So unless you have a
special heavy duty tow dolly, you will be exceeding the safe rating.

I think things will go much better for you if you beg, borrow or steal a 3/4
ton truck and a flatbed car trailer.  Towing this heavy a car with a
passenger car or a 1/2 ton truck is quite hazardous.

If you have only 10 miles to go, and you can do it all at 20 MPH maximum,
without causing a traffic mess, then I guess I might be tempted also to save
money, but be aware you are taking a chance.  The whole shindig will be very
unstable on the road above about 30 MPH, won't stop worth a darn, and could
very well cause some damage to both vehicles if it wraps around on you.

Been there, done that, had to change my shorts!

Dick Benjamin