RE: IML: The old oil argument/just a few comments

RE: IML: The old oil argument/just a few comments

First of all, I will have to pull out my owner's manual for the '70. I just followed what my Dad did with the car. I could swear that it had the same chart as my newer cars which recommends 10W30, but I usually trust Dick B. more than I trust myself.

If you use straight 30 weight aren't you giving something up at start-up? I thought the purpose of the multi-viscosity oils was to flow easily at start-up, until the car was warmed up and in extremely cold temperatures. Wouldn't running straight 30 cause more wear from starting the car cold?

As for the 5W30, it was mainly a fuel economy move. I believe the front wheel drive Mopars recommended it for a year or two and then went back to recommending 10W oils, presumably for wear issues. Some people still swear by it, others won't touch it or the newer 0W30 synthetics.

D2, my '70 is a "Super Commando" so it has a windage tray and deeper pan and holds an extra quart. You might want to consider a new pan and pick-up if the small volume of oil concerns you.

Rob

PS: Paul you have storage for your automotive literature? I'm jealous. I just have old Car Crafts, Car & Drivers and Hot Rods from the late '60s on up strewn all over my apartment.