Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 10:53 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: IML: 1968 Check Gauges light/Oil Pressure

Well, I'll bet most people don't really give a rats rear end about what oil
I use either, but here goes. I'll start by saying that from the time I did
my first oil change I have always bought Penzoil.

In my old Imperials I use straight SAE30W. In my modern V8 cars, that means
1980 and newer, I use 10W-30. I have one 1980 car that has a worn engine, so
I use 20W-50 in it. I also use 20w-50 in my '56 Imperial since it is pretty
tired as well, but I am now thinking of changing that one to SAE40W, since I
think it is actually heavier.

I also have an old Continental with a tired V12. My fellow LZOC members all
caution me to totally avoid ANY use of multi-viscosity oil in it, especially
with that old engine. They have insisted that I use straight SAE30W.

The '68 that I just bought has been getting 20W-40 from its previous owners,
so I planned on continuing that once I change that dang starter and am able
to drive it. The climate here isn't great for crawling around under the car
unless it is parked at least on a cement slab, and preferably in a warm
garage. That car presently is not in or on either one.

I guess that I should add to all of this that I have never blown up an
engine in an estimated total of about 2,200,000 miles of driving since 1968.
The engine in one of my parents car's siezed after I drove it in 1970, but
that was because my father had neglected a blown head gasket that put a two
quarts of anti-freeze into the crank case over a period of six months. I
also was too young and stupid to have a clue that anything was wrong,
although I don't recall any actual symptoms while driving the car. These
days I would be alerted to this by seeing the nasty concoction driping off
the dip stick while checking the oil.

Cheers!

Paul