Never saw any evidence of either side being hard on the original, that's maybe why they usually look like hell and there is a market for replacements!

Roy
67 Crown FDHT

In a message dated 12/3/2004 6:32:55 PM Pacific Standard Time, jsadowski@xxxxxxx writes:
The hard side goes against the hood & the soft part showing.Most of the Imperials I've owned had the original pad in place. This was the way they all were installed.
John
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 12:29 PM
Subject: RE: IML: 66 Crown Coupe hood pad question

When I got the hood pad for my 67 from Gary I had the same question. On inspection the holes in the hood for the retaining clips were asymmetrical, and the way they would line up with the pad was with the firm side visible.

Roy
67 Crown FDHT

<I just received my hood insulation pad from Gary Goers (under 30 days turnaround!!!!) and my question is which side should face out? The black firm side or the gray flock side?>