Re: IML: 1968 Check Gauges light

Title: Re: IML: 1968 Check Gauges light
I'll second that. On my '67, the light sometimes flickers at idle, in gear, when the engine is warm (and thus the oil is thinnest).

The "check gages" lamp (I guess Chrysler couldn't afford a U) is only triggered by three of the gauges: oil pressure, temperature and fuel level. The ammeter is not linked to the warning lamp, and the brake system uses the other warning lamp. (I love that there are but three indicator lamps on this dash including the high-beams, and no turn signal indicators!) Even if your oil pressure gauge doesn't read properly (due to a gauge malfunction or just age), odds are good that the sender on the engine block is working properly and letting you know the oil pressure's a little low.

First, check the oil level. If it's OK (and you're not using something weak-kneed like 10w30... I run 20w50 Castrol GTX high-mileage formula... it might just be that age and mileage have rendered your engine's ability to maintain oil pressure at idle to the threshold of what Mother Mopar deemed low enough to trigger the lamp. Or the sending unit on the engine is in fact losing its mojo... start by replacing that (it's readily available at NAPA or even some Chrysler dealers... you want the dual-pole type since you have both a gauge and a lamp). Then let us know and we'll go from there!

--
Chris in LA
67 Crown