Re: IML: Electrical Problems

Your temperature, Gas and Oil Pressure gauges are regulated by an internal voltage limiter. From your description, it sounds like the limiter has stuck points. This could be why the Oil Pressure is pegged. The other probably were for a while too until they burned up. This is a common problem with '60-'63 Imperials. Chances are that you Oil Pressure gauge can still be saved, the others maybe not.

>From the sound of it, there are other cluster related issues as well with the EL Lighting System. Many of us have "trouble-shot' and repaired our own clusters. There should be some guidance on that in the OIC. There are also vendors who will recondition your cluster. You can probably buy another one on Ebay to send out for repair, or install into your car while you have yours repaired. The more that it needs the more it costs. J.C Auto is one that I know of and would trust. Other vendors may be listed in the OIC as well. If you find a working cluster, I would highly recommend adding an external voltage limiter to replace the original to prevent another "pegging" scenario. These limiters may still be available and can be easily added to a working cluster.

The fact that you EL Lighting works at all means that the transformer, switch, and the wiring harness is okay.

Good luck!

Paul