Re: IML: '67 exhaust replacement

I've had an aluminized system on my '67 for over 15 years now. And from all
places, Midas!

You see, when I bought the car, I got most of its service paperwork from the
kind and dear original owners, Pat and Joe. Included in this was the
original Midas receipt from 1972 when Joe first replaced the original
muffler. Here in Hollywood (CA) there once was a good Midas shop on Sunset
Blvd, and not only did the technician painstakingly bend the rear pipe over
the axle into the resonator (which nestles between the gas tank and right
rear fender, but he carefully crafted the tailpipe to arch up and then come
down so it was flush with the slope of the rear bumper, just like it should
look. On top of that, the manager cheerfully changed the lifetime guarantee
over to my name (it's not supposed to be transferrable, I believe) and to
this day that lovely tailpipe graces my Crown.

A few years later when it got noisy, I dropped into the Beverly Hills Midas,
chatted up the manager for a few (they always come out to check out an
Imperial), and ended up driving away in silence after he tightened a flange
(the muffler was fine). But again, a good experience with a chain I do not
normally support nor recommend to others for most work.

There's nothing fancy about the exhaust in a '67 Imperial. It's not made of
rare Claro Walnut or filled with Tahitian Whale Oil. It's a fairly common
size of muffler and resonator (as big pre-catalyst American cars go). You
just need to find a local muffler shop who's willing to bend the pipes to
match the ones on the car, or the shape of the car where the exhaust routes
(which is pretty obvious when the car's on a lift) so it won't bang on the
underbody or gas tank.

Normally I avoid the chain stores and find the local guy who seems to
appreciate the car, and this has worked for me with my other Mopars. Maybe
an afternoon spent driving around (with the car) from shop to shop (make a
list from the Yellow Pages book or online directory, and maybe call a few
first to weed out the lazy ones and the ones who think anything with a 440
should sound like the General Lee) and follow your gut. If you like the guy,
give him a try. Stay with the car while the work is done (it might require
an appointment but it shouldn't take more than 90 minutes to fabricate the
complete system if he has the mufflers in stock), and slip the technician a
$20 tip when you're done.

Good luck and smooth cruising!

--
Chris in LA