Re: IML: Re:Imperial Mileage

Quoting MNTwin1@xxxxxxx:

> D^2,
> OK, so I rounded up from 16.5.  I have checked it on several  occassions and
>
> yes I have checked the speed/mileage with a newer car following  me.  This
> has
> been one of the best 440s I have owned.  Its not a high  mileage car so maybe
> that has something to do with it.  I did replace the  original Holley with a
> Carter.  I once owned a 76 New Yorker which also got  me in the 17 mpg range

Newer cars can have sometimes odometer speedometer errors too, but what can I
say?  Unlikely, but possible.  The engine total miles is not too big of a deal,
unless the engine is real old and suffers from a lot of blowby.  The biggest
part is the carb mixture.  Carburetors tend to run a bit rich at low
loads/speeds, then lean at higher flow rates, and then rich again at very high
flow rates  (higher rpms and/or throttle openings).  May be you are lucky and
have a carb that runs real lean in the medium air flow range, yet not too lean
to missfire.

One of my 68's has a carter too.  Very reliable carburetor.  The LeBaron, with
the lock up converter, which would be the candidate for real good mileage (that
would be a factor at lower speeds or in hilly areas) has a Rochester, which is
not the best carburetor.  It has more cfm rating than the Carter, but it seems
a poor design, even though more modern.

Another factor in gas mileage is the engine oil grade.  I use 15w50 (Mobil 1)
which is good for hard driving, but may cost some in mileage in low load
conditions, especially in the winter.  But this can't do too much, I would not
think.

D^2