From: Rob McCall
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2004 8:24 PM
Subject: IML: Powder coating

Paul,

Powder coating is very similar to painting, but instead of having the
pigment suspended in a liquid solvent, the pigment is in a powder form.  The
part to be coated is charged with an electrode, and the spray gun is charged
with the opposite polarity so the powder will be drawn to the item to be
coated.

After coating, the part will have to be either baked n an oven or baked
under UV lamps to melt the powder.  During the baking process, the finish
levels out to give that smooth surface.  It is a very strong and durable
finish.  Eastwood's sells a do-it-yourself kit, and there are some others
out there as well.  I believe the coating was originally developed for
industrial use.

You cannot powder coat a radiator.  The coating will be much too thick,
inhibiting airflow.  Stick with radiator paint.  I believe it is just a
really thin lacquer.

Rob McCall
'67 LeBaron