Re: IML: Hub/Drum Puller

I didn't check out the item numbers, but I would suggest that you buy the heaviest duty one that you can.

The tool you need has at least three "arms" that fasten to the drum with the lug bolts. These attach to a platform that has a threaded rod through the center. The threaded rod has a special "end point" that, when aligned properly, comes into contact with the center of the axle. There is a "handle" that fastens to the other "hex" end of the threaded rod that can be walloped with a hammer (if need be, and it usually is needed) to create the force necessary between the rod and the platform to pop the drum off the rear axle. Be careful not to hit yourself, or the back fender of your car with the hammer.

It is very important that the large nut and washer (used to hold the drum on the axle) be used as a safety to keep the drum from shooting off the axle. It can fly across the garage, yard, or through you. The safety is made by loosening the nut from the axle and then re-tightening it, but only until there is a small visible space between the nut& washer, and the drum. Once the drum "pops" this will keep it in place. Another tip is to make sure that you back off the adjustment on the brake shoes. To do this, turn the adjusting screws in-ward towards each other.

Understanding how all this works is essential to picking out the proper tool. There are many that look like they will do the job, but the amount of force necessary to "pop" the drum can also be enough to destroy many of these tools. The platform can fracture, the threaded rod can collapse, or one of the arms can break. There are lots of these tools out there that look right, but not all are up to the job. Also, once you have purchased one, inspect it carefully for cracks and/or fractures. If the tool breaks while it is pulling the drum, it can seriously injure you.

I have found that the ones with the "round platform" are NOT as strong as the ones that have the odd shaped platform with slots, for the arms.

Paul