IML: '68 side marker issue

I'm going through the annual humbug of trying to get my '68 LeBaron through a safety inspection. I spent an hour today trying to get the bulb out of the side marker built into the front bumper. They're obviously set up differently than the rear marker lights, which simply plug in and out. I crawled underneath and spotted threads on the metal plug and finally managed with a pliers to get it to turn ... but then it just turned and turned and turned. So then I figured it had to pull it straight out somehow, but it wouldn't pull and I didn't want to break it. I couldn't spot any clips or anything that would suggest how it's secured in there.
This isn't the biggest deal in the world but any direction would be appreciated.
Aloha,
Jim Kelly
Honolulu
'68 LeBaron