Re: IML: Frustrating Electrical Problem

The amp gauge in your 76 is different from the earlier models.  Instead of
having full current flow through it, - it only measures voltage drop.  So,
the car will still start if the amp gauge is faulty.
I believe the ignition switch could be your problem.  At any rate, - it can
kill the blower, and still start the car.
As for the amp gauge not reading anything, - that tends to be somewhat the
nature of the beast due to it's design, - some seem to show more activity
than others.
The ignition switch can also kill voltage to the regulator (which will keep
the alternator from charging of course).  Check voltage, - key ON, - at the
blue wire of the regulator plug.  You should see battery voltage here.  You
should also see a ground at the green wire of the regulator plug.  AND the
voltage regulator case must have a good ground to the body.

To do a quick charging test, - with the engine running, - unplug the
regulator plug.  Now, - ground the corner (green) wire to a good ground.
The engine should slow down, and you should hear the alternator start to
work (whine a little).  Don't hold that for long, - you may have 16V or more
going on.  If nothing happens, - then check the blue wire for battery
voltage.  If OK, - then check the green wire between the reg plug and the
alternator (that green wire runs directly to the alternator and the reg
plug, and nowhere else).  Check the blue wire (plugged into a brush) at the
alternator, - it should have batt voltage with the key ON.  Check the green
wire brush at the alternator (after you unplug it, - it should show batt
voltage too, and if it does not, - then either the brush(es) are bad in the
alternator, - or the alternator rotor is bad).  If all the wiring and
connectors check out, then the alternator (like diodes, stator etc) is bad.

Regards,
DaveG.