IML: torqueflite nonsense

The changes in the 727 over the years were few, not to go into the detail to list them all but there was a change in the number of splines on the input shaft around 65, the front clutch bushing was made a bit wider around 71 or 72, the valve body had changes along the way to reflect the difference in cable shift linkage versus non cable, the part throttle downshift was added at some point , in the mid 70s the angle of the planetary gears was changed slightly, there were others and Im sure someone will call attention to something I missed or some other bit of trivia.

Unless you are flat out going for high horsepower applications, and I mean double or more than the factory was delivering, youre not going to see any serious differences in what a 78 or a 74 or a 67 or whatever year of aluminum case 727 can handle. They were more than robust enough to handle the torque and horsepower that was being sent to them, and even the much maligned lock up versions had problems with the TORQUE CONVERTER more than the transmission itself.

Dont take my word for it though since I can only speak from experience in repairing and rebuilding the silly things over the years, as well as seeing first hand the kinds of race use that basically stock transmissions are capable of taking with only the most basic mods done to them.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe