From: <JosephStil@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 4:24 PM
Subject: IML: 1961 Transmission question

> I am drawing a bead in my gun sight on a 1961 Imperial Crown Southamption
4DHT that a couple of folks on the list are helping me scope out.  This car
is a solid #4 bordering on #3 and the price is right -- well, it's ok...

> I have a question for the transmission experts on the list.
>
> Background:
> I talked with the owner this morning and in our discussion he proceeded to
tell me that the motor runs but that the reverse gear doesn't work.

> Question:
> What could cause this problem?  I have already heard the following
suggestions:  1)  the push button for reverse is not actuating the
cam/control cable to shift in to reverse gear, 2) the reverse band could be
broken (first & reverse are actuated by the same gear?), or 3) a valve body
problem.

> Any one of you have any suggestions on this?  If it is one of the three
suggestions above, what am I looking at in terms of a) fixing it myself
(remember, Dick Benjamin is my idol, but I haven't anywhere near the
skillset he has), or b) the cost of repairs if done by a transmission
mechanic.