Remember that '82 that wouldn't start?

Many cars that are on the road have "a" missing tooth on the flywheel. One way
that happens is when the car doesn't start easily, and the starter is actuated
and re-actuated many times without letting it fully stop in between. Another
way is that the Bendix drive begins to fail and doesn't engage properly. This
can "nick" a tooth, and eventually break it and others until starting the car
becomes nearly impossible, either from the lack of teeth on the fly wheel or
the total failure of the Bendix drive.

One tooth isn't so bad, but there are times when the engine stops in just the
right (or wrong) position to make the starter only partially engage in the
tooth. That puts stress on the next tooth, and sometimes even break it. The
more teeth that break off, the more often the starter will not engage, until
finally you find yourself sitting in a parking lot hitting the key over and
over again hoping that it will engage.

This is a disaster waiting to happen. You might as well bite the bullet and fix
it while you are young and healthy.

Paul