Please WELCOME A New Member, Mike Jones

> Car(s) owned: I am interested in a 1968 crown imperial but I need to know
> what kind of drive train it came with such as engine size and transmission.
> Please help me out. Have a Great day.
>
> Self-Introduction: I do not own any crown imperials but I saw a 1968 that I
> may be interested in if I can get some fact on them as far as drive train and
> performance.  Have a great day.

Mike.  You can check the specs by going to "Imperialclub.com", check
"year-by-year", and then select the color brochure on the right. On the last
page you will see you the specs in the 68 modelyear (along with a lot of nice
pictures).

These cars had the 440 cid engine (7.2 Liters), and the only differential ratio
available was 2.94 (with or without "SureGrip").  The transmission is
Chrysler's 3 speed automatic, called "TorqueFlite", which was the best
transmission of its time.  The engine is the high compression verion (10.1:1).
In 68, there were two 440's available, the standard with a fairly small cam
(260-262 intake-exhaust total duration) for plenty of low end pull, and the
"high output", with a larger cam (268-284), both the same compression ratio.
Only the small cam engine was offered on the Imperials, however the dual
exhaust option for a decent upper end improvement was also offered, only for
the 68 model year, as far as I know (if we exclude the 1961 and prior model
years).  However, many of these engines have had at least a partial rebuilt,
where the larger cam is usually installed (I doubt if after market producers
even offer the original small cam).

The stock power ratings (350 hp for the low output) are in "gross hp", which is
not a realistic figure.  However, the chrysler 440 was among the best engines,
and the true hp is not as far from the gross rating as other engines of the
time.  You can expect a true hp (at the flywheel) of about 280 hp with dual
exhaust.

Performance?  A Car-Life road test for a 67 (also in the site, under the 67
model year) showed a 1/4 mile in 17.4 seconds and 73 mph.  And this was not
with optimum shifting.  The 68's have improved cylinder heads, so they should
do a bit better.  A 69 road test (similar engine as the 68, also single
exhaust) did the 1/4 mile in 16.6 s and 86 mph.  This figure is more
representative of a well broken-in Imperial.  Where these cars excell though is
high speed performance, where all this weight and wheel base help high speed
stability, while the 440 does the rest.  If you look at the acceleration curve
provided in the 67 Car Life test, you will notice amazing acceleration between
90 and 110 mph, and this was with single exhaust.  Another road test of a 67
coupe measured top speed of the order of 125 mph, but with a dual exhaust 68
and modern radial tires, even with the stock cam you can exceed 130 mph.  I
have heard of a stock 68 LeBaron being clocked at 135 mph somewhere in Houston.
 The larger cam will give an even better high speed performance.

In short, the car you are about to buy is one of the fastest luxury cars built
in the USA (or worldwide) during that period.  Also,like all Imperials, you
have excellent handling (for such a large car) due to the torsion bar
suspension.  Also, you have decent brakes through the 4-piston caliper 11" disk
brakes, which generally are reliable provided the car did not sit for long
periods of time.  All that in a very strong and well designed body, and in top
luxury.

D^2, 68 Sedan, 68 LeBaron, Austin TX