Need Advice re: Power Steering Unit (my advice)

Need Advice re: Power Steering Unit (my advice)

My 1965 Le Baron's gear box was leaking profusely as well, if I drove it
regularly, it would need a full bottle every couple of days.  Personally, I
decided to pull the box and send it out to be rebuilt.  I don't think anything
short of that will give any long-term peace of mind.  I don't know about your
car, but in my car I couldn't get to it easily until I pulled my engine.  I
will be sending my unit to Steer and Gear.  A friend sent his box there and was
very satisfied with their work.  If your interested, here's their number:
800-253-4327. You might also wnat to call The Steering Store 888-924-7225.
I hope this info is helpful.
John.

"Quint Villanueva" <Qlv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Greetings,
>I could use some advise re the power steering unit on my 1953 Imperial.  The
>unit had been leaking/dripping power steering fluid for some time.  I used
>Lucas' power steering fluid to stop the leak, which it did for a while.
> Recently, the leaks became more noticeable and finally the entire contents of
>the p/s reservoir spilled out on to the garage floor.  An eyeball examination
>revealed an apparent leak in the steering box. It isn't where the p/s hoses
>connect, they are ok.  It appears that a seal in the steering box may have
>broken causing the p/s fluid to drain out.
>
>My questions are these:  Did anyone ever have a similar problem, if so, how
>did you fix it?
>Would it be easier to replace the steering box or replace only the seal,
>providing I can locate either?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Quint

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.