Christine Trettin
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2004 2:08 PM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: Tire size's

> series raised white letter tires.  I always thought that '70, '60, or
> even smaller numbers meant the width of the tread.  Is that not so?
> My Crown Convertible Coupe is running on P235-75R15.  Now the way I
> read that is: P235 means the height from tread to rim, 75 means width
> of the tire over the tread, which is 75 percent of the tire height,
> and R15 means rim size.

Hi Bill,

You got it just backwards on those widths and aspect ratios.  The
collective wisdom of the Imperial Mailing List, including that of
tire-maker's-son and general-all-around-good-guy Dick Benjamin, has been
summarized in the Repair section of the website here:

http://www.imperialclub.org/Repair/Wheels/size.htm

Hope that clears it up!

Mike Trettin
1956 Imperial Sedan, Turquoise