Air Conditioning

I have decided to tackle the non-functioning a/c system in my 72.  As you all likely know, this is an Auto Temp II system.  Anyway, the symptoms are: nothing happens when any of the buttons are pressed.  I have gone through the shop manual and tried a few things.  What I have determined so far is the little diaphram things on the air box do move when the buttons are pressed, however the fan does not come on, and I am not sure if the A/C compressor is functioning or not.  There is no noises or any signs of activity I can determine anywhere in the system.

Anyway, the one thing that has me scratching my head is this.  Checking the vacuum line connector at the buttons, as I thought I heard a vacuum leak (was something else not related to the a/c), there is a seven line coupling, the shop manual shows number 5 is a "bleed wire".  On my car, this vacuum line has a grey coloured piece of electrical wire stuck into the line, and the other end was not connected to anything.  It ran towards the passenger side of the car, but I could not find where this wire may have went.  Now, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what an electrical wire is doing stuck in a vacuum line hose, however the labeling as a bleed wire tells me this is supposed to do something, and the wire is in there quite tight, so maybe it belongs there?  So, can anyone familiar with this vintage vehicle straighten me out on this "bleed wire" thing, and point me in the right direction on trouble shooting my a/c system.  I am seriously considering stripping off a non autotemp system from a similar vintage Chrysler and converting, but thought I would take a shot at fixing this one first.

I am aware that the main problem with these systems is that big plastic box on the passenger side fender liner, but how do I find out if this is good or not?  I couldn't find any screws, and the top seems to be attached by some pliable rubber or silicon plugs, so I am leery of pulling it apart, at least until I have secured a few spares to swap on.

Anyway, I await the feedback from the sages here.

Robert Weldon
68 Newport Conv.
72 Lebaron 2 dr.