ac problems in a 72

My best guess here is that the ac clutch is going or has gone, hence the
grinding noises and the belts getting loose.  It may be the compressor, but
Im thinking if the compressor was gone then the thing would either seize or
youd have looseness and such all the time....either way thats the area to
start searching.

If nothing blows....Im presuming no air flow here thru the ducts....does the
car have any of the ATC systems?  Im no expert on them but I think the FSM
will lead you thru that, as in some cases the fan may not blow at all unless
other parameters are met.  Id defer to the guys with ATC on this , or the
guys with the 72's.

The thermostat should still be on top of the water pump housing....it
probably has an angled housing to get the upper hose to clear the ac
compressor.  Follow the upper hose from the radiator back towards the
engine....at the engine end of the hose you should find the thermostat.

Be aware, the stat itself shouldnt have anything to do with having ac or
not.  IF the  compressor turns, has enough freon onboard and can develop
pressure, and the sytem is intact then youll have to find out why the fan
blower isnt working and go from there.  It may end up being a case of
isolate and identify the separate problems and then try and tie it together.

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe