From: Hugh & Therese [mailto: hugtrees@xxxxxxxx]
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:17:11 -0500
Subject: Re: IML: yes, what is a coupe ?

Mr. Sutton asked a question that is of some merit.  Though it begins as
a<br>generally directed question, it seems, in the second half of the post, to
be<br>specifically directed towards me.  I was not going to continue the thread
as<br>others had, I thought, answered the question and it, to me. had
stretched<br>beyond anything related with Imperials.  Mr. Sutton is a person of
who has<br>been on this list far longer than I, so I shall follow his lead, as
ever.  I<br>would not care for him to be treated in any way that could be
explains the word coupe, which, of course, is<br>of French
obvious to all that a hard top cannot,  by strict definition, be<br>considered
to be a coupe.  Why else would the automobile industry have felt<br>it
necessary to have two different descriptions for two different kinds
of<br>cars?  Words in common parlance do not, of course, adhere to such rigoro
us<br>consistency, as their meanings become fuzzy and change over time.  My
museum<br>has just a horse carriage.  I myself have ridden in a railway
carriage coupe<br>on British Railways, but this is probably more expounding
record, the answer Mr. Sutton cared enough to comment on did not<br>came from
the seat of my pants.  Like his question, it was a product of an<br>experienced
brain, trying to explain something to someone who expressed some<br>perplexity,
despite prior explanations, about the differences between the<br>two terms.  I
cannot cite any references for the answer beyond my own<br>Imperial related
reading in books, magazines, previous answers given on this<br>list, our web
site and experience.  If anyone wishes to dispute my answer in<br>totality or
in part, I, too, will experience some benefit, as my ignorance,<br>along with
the person who originally asked the question, will be dispelled<br>Until Mr.
Sutton brought up the question of giving
 attributions for all such<br>answers, I had thought the purpose of the list
was for us to participate<br>non-academically, as equals, and mutually benefit
annotations on all future postings from Mr.<br>Sutton in the future so I might
learn, not, obviously, as I did about the<br>difference between a sedan and a
hard top, from the example of persons of<br>unimpeachable erudition and
knowledge.  Mr. Sutton's pursuit of total<br>accuracy in the future will be an
example which I will be delighted to<br>emulate.  No doubt I will fail, but how
often does one ever really surpass<br>one's teacher?  I'm sure everyone will
want to do so as well and will wish<br>to thank him for this idea as it will
raise the level of intercourse here<br>immeasurably.  Mr. Sutton understands
that is sometimes necessary to split<br>hairs in public as long as it is, of
course, in the best interests of<br>mailing list members, a common goal about
which he and I have shared some<br>interesting
http://www.imperialclub.com  -----------------<br>This message was sent to you
and your response will be <br>shared with everyone. Private messages (and
attachments) for the<br>Administrators should be sent to
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<br>To UN-SUBSCRIBE, go to