yes, what is a coupe ?

Mr. Sutton asked a question that is of some merit.  Though it begins as a
generally directed question, it seems, in the second half of the post, to be
specifically directed towards me.  I was not going to continue the thread as
others had, I thought, answered the question and it, to me. had stretched
beyond anything related with Imperials.  Mr. Sutton is a person of who has
been on this list far longer than I, so I shall follow his lead, as ever.  I
would not care for him to be treated in any way that could be construed as a
rude.  Heaven forbid.

Here is a link to a site that explains the word coupe, which, of course, is
of French origin.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=coupe

It will be obvious to all that a hard top cannot,  by strict definition, be
considered to be a coupe.  Why else would the automobile industry have felt
it necessary to have two different descriptions for two different kinds of
cars?  Words in common parlance do not, of course, adhere to such rigorous
consistency, as their meanings become fuzzy and change over time.  My museum
has just a horse carriage.  I myself have ridden in a railway carriage coupe
on British Railways, but this is probably more expounding than even the ever
exhaustive Mr. Sutton might possibly want.

For the record, the answer Mr. Sutton cared enough to comment on did not
came from the seat of my pants.  Like his question, it was a product of an
experienced brain, trying to explain something to someone who expressed some
perplexity, despite prior explanations, about the differences between the
two terms.  I cannot cite any references for the answer beyond my own
Imperial related reading in books, magazines, previous answers given on this
list, our web site and experience.  If anyone wishes to dispute my answer in
totality or in part, I, too, will experience some benefit, as my ignorance,
along with the person who originally asked the question, will be dispelled.
Until Mr. Sutton brought up the question of giving attributions for all such
answers, I had thought the purpose of the list was for us to participate
non-academically, as equals, and mutually benefit from this kind of
interchange.

I look forward to seeing full annotations on all future postings from Mr.
Sutton in the future so I might learn, not, obviously, as I did about the
difference between a sedan and a hard top, from the example of persons of
unimpeachable erudition and knowledge.  Mr. Sutton's pursuit of total
accuracy in the future will be an example which I will be delighted to
emulate.  No doubt I will fail, but how often does one ever really surpass
one's teacher?  I'm sure everyone will want to do so as well and will wish
to thank him for this idea as it will raise the level of intercourse here
immeasurably.  Mr. Sutton understands that is sometimes necessary to split
hairs in public as long as it is, of course, in the best interests of
mailing list members, a common goal about which he and I have shared some
interesting private e-mails.

Hugh