Crown Mystery: Multiplex in a '68 Convertible?

Crown Mystery: Multiplex in a '68 Convertible?

Today I began to re-install what I thought is the
original AM radio in the 1968 Imperial Crown
convertible.

When I began looking for the black and green wires
from the fader control to plug into the leads from the
radio, I noticed that the fader wiring on the car
differed from the non-stereo installation shown in the
manual.

The fader wires and connector on the car match the
manual's illustration for the "stereo control switch",
a six socket connector with five wires (violet, dark
blue, black, dark green and red).

This photo shows the fader connector on the car:
http://www.duricy.com/~imperialist/emailshare/multi1.JPG

I confirmed that these wires lead back to the fader.

It then became obvious that there is no wiring to
cross the dash from the radio to the harness from the
rear speaker.

When I looked at that harness, it was not the simple
pair of black and green wires for the non-stereo
radio. Instead, it matches the four socket, four wire
"stereo connector" shown in the manual. A violet wire
with a black tracer seems to go along for the ride. I
don't know what its function is.

Although the car does not have speakers in the doors,
it does have the connections for speakers. The door
panels show evidence of having been taken apart and
put poorly back together.

There is no audio equipment under the backseat, which
I think is were MultiPlex component were stashed.
There were, however, two unexplained holes under the
seat - one on the transmission hump.

Before I get excited and begin searching for MultiPlex
parts, I'd like to know the following:

Is the manual wrong? Did Imperial perhaps use the
stereo fader control for non-stereo installations? The
harness to the rear speaker, too?

Thank you for your help.

Dave Duricy
1973 Imperial LeBaron