Thanx, was 413 problems

Quoting johan C wildhagen <johancwildhagen@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Ignition is a great sugestion. Ill start with that
> tanks man!
> Johan
> 65 LeBaron
> WDC

No problem.  The ignition is the easiest thing to check, but what Dick B. says
makes sense too.  As he said, I have never experienced that, since I excersize
my secondaries very often (it shows, as I "earned" a couple of over 100
speeding tickets).  If Dick is right, the car probably runs too lean, so it
missfires (but if the missfire is very consistent and rythmic, ignition comes
to mind again).  However, if the problem was when you stopped and the engine
was heat soaked, too rich sounds more like it (so, its Paul's suggestion of a
stuck needle that is climbing up in the list).  A way to test if the car fails
to start because its too rich due to a stuck float needle valve or any other
reason is the following.  Crank the engine while holding the throttle wide open
(do not pump, this will bring more gas, just hold it open).  If its too rich,
the open butterflies will allow a bunch of air, which will make the mixture a
bit leaner and igniteable.  As the engine starts firing and speeding up, you
back off the throttle progressively, and there will be no overspeeding.  If the
needle is really stuck causing the over-rich condition, tapping the carb may
help getting it unstuck as Paul says and the problem is over once the extra gas
gets removed off the carb.  If that does not do it, you can try the following
trick (I have with good success several times in my LeBaron and some on Mike
P's coupe when he picked it up from Austin last January).  Disconnect the fuel
line from the carburetor and if possible let the line dump into an empty
bottle, say an empty can of motor oil (if no bottle is available, make sure it
dumps away from the engine on the ground, if you have a metal line, connect a
flex hose to it so that you can redirect the flow without bending the line).
Then crank the engine (with the throttle wide open to help start it as we
assume the mixture is too rich).  As the engine consumes the excess of fuel in
the carb bowl(s), it will start running better for a while, but then fuel
starvation will eventually kill it (the fuel pump now fills up your empty
bottle instead of the filling up the carburetor bowl(s)).  Make sure you let it
run until it dies and the carb gets dry.  As the float level in the carb drops,
the needle is opened completely, and the crud that likely held it open go off
and get burnt up in the engine.  Then, reconnecting the fuel line (and dumping
the gas from the bottle back in the gas tank) may end up "repairing" your
carburetor.  A new fuel filter may prevent this from happening again, but it
might not.

D^2