'64-'66 steering, starter motor questions

'64-'66 steering, starter motor questions

Another couple of questions:

1. The (used) steering box that was stuck into my '64 convertible seems to
"stick" a bit when the wheel is turned hard and makes a noise in the interior
that sounds like a groan, almost like two metal pieces rubbing together
unevenly.

2. The first time I start the car after a few days, there is a loud whacking
sound (like wood being chopped) when I turn the ignition on. Once the car
starts, I can turn it off and the noise does not reappear.

3. Is the neutral safety switch hard to find for the '62-'64 push-button
Torqueflite? At one point, the starter wouldn't engage, and I just pushed the
neutral button to make sure it was depressed completely. That did the trick,
but I began to worry that I was on borrowed time with this switch.

Any ideas/suggestions from the Imperial Gallery?

On the plus size, an injection of hydraulic fluid got the top to move for the
first time. The pistons squirt a littl fluid and will need to be replaced, but
this progress has certainly helped my morale!

Thanks in advance,
Ed