Contaminated brakes - '57

Is it absolutely necessary to replace the pads?  When this happened to me I
did everything Dick said, but I couldn't help but wonder at the time if the
pads could not be cleaned in some way.  Is it that the pads are porous and
absorb some of the hydraulic fluid which then causes them to melt or become
glued by emerging trapped fluid to the drum?  Would the amount of the
original leakage factor into the decision or, once it happens, is one
obligated to go the whole hog, regardless of the quantity of leaked brake
fluid involved?

Hugh