Part numbers needed

Don't buy parts to repair an engine until you have had a mechanic who knows
what he's doing with a Micrometer measure all the worn parts so you know
what sizes to get, and what is repairable and what has to be replaced.
You'll save money in the long run.

If you strip all the accessories off your engine, then take it to your
automotive machine shop, they will do the dirty work, disassemble it and
give you a report as to what the best procedure is to follow from there.
They will also have access to all the required parts, and will stand behind
their work.  Just ask around your area for the best local automotive machine
shop, and trust them to do a good job for you.  Since you have done the hard
work of pulling it out of the car, and transported it to them, the price
will be much less than if you drove the car into a shop to have the engine
rebuilt.

While you have the engine out, take the front seal out of the transmission
and replace that, and if your A904 lockup converter was starting to groan on
lockup at 45 MPH or so, this is the time to take it to your transmission
shop and have the direct drive clutch replaced.

Not that anybody cares, but I have rebuilt quite a few engines and
transmissions in my young life, and I have all the tools including valve
grinding and boring machines, but for the last few rebuilds, I've done all
the disassembly, mikeing and decision making, but I've let a professional
machine shop do the actual cutting of metal and fitting of pistons and the
like.  I don't know if this makes the job better (it probably does because
they have more experience, and much newer machinery), but it has always
produced a very satisfactory result.  I re-assemble all the parts, and of
course double check their work for fit and finish (and I have occasionally
caught an error, but that is very rare), so I know it was put together right
and I am rewarded with an engine that is good for hundreds of thousands of
miles (my record is my old '76 Chevy 454 which has gone, at last report,
340,000 in the new owner's hands.)

Dick Benjamin