Bill & 59

Bill,

Your issues with your 59 are so similar to mine.  It is like one step
forward and two steps back every time we try to get something accomplished.
To steal a phrase, "I feel your pain."

As to your carburetor issue, I think you may have missed my point.  I am
suggesting that you get, in addition to the modern replacement, with which
as another 59 owner pointed out, you will have inordinate problems making it
fir the original air cleaner, you get an original AFB for your car.

This way, for once, you can eat your cake and save it, too.  The modern carb
will be fine for tooling around town and going on trips.  You can put on the
correct one, plus the original air filter, when you wish to show off your
car.  Getting the original, or another of the same type, professionally
rebuilt will give you the best of both worlds.  You may find that the
original works well enough to use all the time, with the knowledge that
should you have problems you have a good enough replacement to keep your car
running if you need to get it worked on.

You might try looking on e-bay for a correct replacement for your 413.  If
you now the model number, you might just get lucky, or just enter 'Carter
AFB' in the search box.  As I mentioned, despite some difficulty, I now have
two original style carbs for my 58.  Like many people on the list, I also
have a certain amount of spare part inventory for my car, like window
motors, just as an example.  If and when you come across this stuff it is
always prudent to acquire it.  Having a spare creates peace of mind, if
nothing else, and it would seem, that you could do with some of this
precious commodity right around now.

Hugh