Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 11:56 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IML: 66 crown

The "steam" you saw was probably condensed fuel vapor (extremely
flammable!) - you might have smelled it?

If this is the case, and you feel up to it, take the top screws off the air
horn (the cast top cover of the carburetor).  You need to disconnected some
attachments, and remove the two mixture control needles, but this is all
pretty simple stuff, and you will not disturb any adjustments.  Then look to
see where the fuel level is. If one of the sections is almost overflowing
with fuel, you know the float/needle valve system has failed.   See if the
float on that side (primary or secondary) has fuel inside it.  (Take it off
the air horn by sliding the pivot rod out of it's mounting, the shake it
next to your ear).  If it has fuel inside it, you've found your problem.
These can be drained and soldered up, if you are handy with a soldering
iron, or you can look for a new float assembly.

If the floats are empty, then the problem is most likely a piece of crud in
the needle valve assembly itself.  The best solution is to replace your fuel
filter and do a complete cleaning of the carburetor (you'll need a kit from
NAPA or other auto parts place).    However, you can try just cleaning the
fuel inlet screen, the needle valve and seat, and see if your problem goes
away (and stays away?).

Good luck.  This ain't rocket science, it's all just common sense.  Be
careful to note how things come apart, and keep track of all the pieces!

Dick Benjamin