Re: Re: IML: Warning: bad dealership!!

Dear Melissa,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  Just about everyone who buys cars
eventually comes across a crook, so don't feel alone.

As Dick B pointed out, you can ask an IML member to go inspect a car.  If you
can't find someone in the area, there are professional car appraisers who will
do it for you.  You can find them advertised in Hemmings (www.hemmings.com).
It may cost you $200, but I always feel losing $200 is cheap if it saves you
from losing $2000.  I use appraisers not to give me an idea of worth, but just
to have an objective pair of eyeballs on a car (and to take pictures).  One
saved me from making a similar mistake with an Imperial in Miami (Ted Vernon
motors-- careful).  Same story there: car was claimed to be near perfect and it
was full of rust & bondo.

I agree with the fellow who says to contact the state dept. of Consumer
Affairs.  This is not something you have to accept helplessly.  The state can
put a serious bite into a bad dearlership's business, and you may be surprised
how cooperative they become after they find out you've notified the proper
authorities.

Good luck!

Mark M

> From: "M Turner" <tminjesu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2004/06/20 Sun AM 09:20:14 EDT
> Subject: Re: IML: Warning: bad dealership!!

have."  The deal died after I got the report from the inspector, which
presented a very different car from what the sellers were presenting.