Brake Shoes - 1957-62

Hi all

This thread is very interesting.  First of all let me dismiss the myth that all brake shoes from this period had cycle bond linings.  I happen to have a set of riveted brake shoes from this era. Yes, original bonded brake shoes are a little bit dubious, due to the age of the cement, however the brake shoes used up until 1959 differ from the 60 through to 62 shoes due to a hole in which the brake shoe anchor pin and spring is located through.  As for the non-asbestos linings, yes they are slightly inferior due to the braking efficiency, however this is overcome as long as the drums are perfectly round and within the braking tolerance (ie internal dimensions do not exceed 60 thou if being re-faced).  As for NOS brake shoes, I managed to purchase a set via ebay in December of last year.  The shoes come in a few various guises.  You can get shoes with a groove running down the centre which was the case with one of the sets and also the cycle bond plain faced, i.e. no groove.  If anybody is rebuilding their brakes, I would seriously recommend that the whole braking system is rebuilt.  Brake cylinders are readily available from numerous suppliers/vendors  as are rebuilt boosters.  I would stay away from anything that has been re-sleeved or honed out, this is because in October last year I purchased a booster and master cylinder that had been reconditioned, the booster was fine but putting in bluntly the master cylinder was very poorly reconditioned (crap!!), in fact when I passed it on I had to state that it would be for emergency use only as I would not trust the braking efficiency of it.  As regards the re-lining of brake shoes, having owned numerous cars from this era, the cycle bond lining is good, but if you can get riveted shoes all the better.

Regards
Dave
60 le baron
England