Odometer roll back

If the odometer doesn't work, that usually means that there is something wrong
with a part of the speedometer itself.

I think that the point of the original question is that if you have an old
Imperial, and you need to repair or replace the speedometer with another unit,
how do you make the mileage match, or does it even matter?

To me it matters, because I like to know how much I have driven any one
particular car. One of the few things that I seem able to remember is the
mileage on a car when I buy it.

If the speedometer needs to be changed, it is usually more difficult to change
the mileage on the replacement unit, than it would be to remove the numbers
from the old one and switch them into the replacement. It has been years since
I had to do this on any of my Imperials, but lately on another car that I am
working on, I chose to put together a perfect speedometer, using the numbers
from the original unit. It was not difficult.

If I didn't care about the mileage on the odometer, there is no one in the
State of Washington, or probably in the entire world that would care if I
change the mileage on one of my old Imperials. It is not against the law since
the car is past its useful life span.

It would become fraudulent if the odometer said 15,000 miles and I tried to
represent it as an original 15,000 mile car while in reality it had 115,000 on
it, but hey, that can happen without touching the odometer. The fraud is in the
telling of the lie.

Paul