How safe is our Old imp in traffic

Hello.
I must say i have waited that container for a long time and as the date,
my green 71' imperial arrives on, is closing..

I have had a lot of discussions about it with my friends..

One issue has risen.. Safety..
We went to argue about how safe is it to meet some newer softer cars on a
road.. I promise i wil never make any dangerous maneuvers or stuff with
the car.. but the issue is itimidating, we can never tell if and when
something could go wrong..

So I have heard that Imperials are strong, though strong does not mean
safe..
My friends argue that on low speeds.. Old big and heavy car could be on
the safe side.. on High speeds the modern cars have much more considered
safety features that could save a soul..
deforming front, airbags, safetybars, engine that goes under the car and
stuff..

I could not point out anything else than that with heavy Imperial I just
ride through those soft rice..

I have seen heavier MB doing that with some softer smaller italian make..
(both modern cars)
MB looked like a car though not in so good shape, the driver was ok..
but the italian one was flat as pancake.. it was direct impact and the
guilt was on MB drivers side.. but the victims were in other one..

Truth is I have no idea about how could one imperial act when it comes to
meetin another car on a road..
and the Truth is I hope and will do everything to not get that experience
ever never..

but I have to have some base to hand out next time I will discuss the very
same subject with my friends.
Is there any readings in internet or can someone tell a story about it,
anything will do

heh sorry for bad english, its not my first language, I hope someone
understood a bit:D

Viljar Mee