62 hard starting problem

An electric fuel pump wont help the cause behind the symptom you are seeing.
it may be a crutch for the symptom but the fuel pump is not the culprit.
The reason it is having this issue is that theres not enough fuel in the
float bowl when you try to start the car, which means that the accelerator
pump isnt moving the fuel it normally would,  since the level is too low and
additionally, a low or empty fuel bowl wont react to the airflow thru the
carburetor and move any fuel into the engine.  I would bet that if you
cranked the engine enough, the fuel pump would fill the float bowl and then
you would be able to start the car...presuming the choke was set properly
and the accelerator pump was working right.

Visualize this...all the fuel in the world thats before the carburetor is
worthless before you start the engine.  The reason is that the carb is
generally the highest point in the fuel system and no fuel can get to the
float bowl until the engine starts and the pump begins moving fuel.
Normally the fuel pump can move more fuel than the carb needs and the float
raises inside the carb, that in turn presses upon the needle valve and that
shuts off the fuel flow to the carb.  Ideally when you shut the car off, the
float bowl in the carb will be full of fuel and it will be waiting there for
the next start cycle.  At that point, you open the throttle once  before you
start the car..this sets the choke if need be and gives a pump shot to the
engine.  If the bowl is empty you get no fuel so you wont get a start.

The reason the bowl is empty is generally due to heat caused
evaporation.....a 413 creates a fair amount of heat and a cast iron intake
manifold retains it very well.  Now you have an aluminum carb body bolted to
a hot iron intake and the aluminum transfers heat very well...right into the
float bowl of the carb and now you have gasoline thats heated up and boiling
away, hence the empty bowl syndrome.  An electric pump will replace the fuel
that boils off at shutdown, but the root cause is still there.

Make sure you have the fiberglass material sandwiched between the valley
cover ( the intake gasket is also the valley pan gasket ) and the intake,
also if need be you can get a carb gasket thats about 1/4 inch thick and
acts as an insulator also....which I believe what should be there anyway.
Also, with a full fuel bowl - like right after shut down, take the air
cleaner off and hit the throttle once and verify that the accel pump does
give a good shot...though if it was bad youd probably notice that on
acceleration.

This is all been covered in the archives, several of us 62 owners have had
this phenomenon and I belive that at one point Dick Benjamin gave a very
thorough explanation of the issue, probably better than I just did.

Good luck,

Mikey
62 Crown Coupe