78 NYB squeals

Bruce,
It's easy enough to isolate. You can just take the fan and clutch off and
see if you still get the squeal.  I wouldn't drive it like that for long,
but revving it up to 1500 a few times won't hurt. It's easy enough to pull,
just jam a big screwdriver between the bolts, so it doesn't spin when you
try to loosen them.  Also, be sure to put it down in the right orientation
or even if it was good, it will be ruined.  If you've still got your squeal
and you know it's your water pump, you've already taken the first step to
changing it out.
Rob