green & black wires, about 10-12 gauge

To me, that sounds like the speaker wires for a normal Chrysler corporation radio from back then.  Seems like they will have a gray cast plastic terminal insulator where they plug onto the radio (one male, one female?) or ganged in a common connector.

While you're under there, it might be a good time (after you recover from the contortions of the first project) to also put a new speaker in the front too.  Also, it might not be a good idea to operate the radio with the leads unplugged for very long.  If you have a spare speaker, you can verify if those really are speaker wires, but doing so with a Chrysler factory service manual (which will also note the color code and gauge of each wire) might be a good idea too.

Just some thoughts,
W Bell