Smog Test

     I feel its time to hold our representatives accountable for this new smog check. I just had one of the "New Test" at a "Smog Only" test center.
     I keep my car tuned up and in proper factory settings (Its a 1978 Dodge Monaco CHP car). It passed the idle test. It failed on the actual running tests (15 & 25 mph tests) by less than 25% of the maxim in 1 category. Everything else passed with numbers so low it's almost a nonpoluter.
     I had to reset the jets and it passed in the CO section but adjusting it increased the NO put out by the car.
     I had to change carbs last year because the Holley originally on it was no longer available and I put on a Carter Thermoquad. The manifolds were so thin you could see the fire in them at night, even before they cracked, only thing I could find that would fit or work was headers.
     I use this car less than 2000 miles a year.
     Now I hear they want to extend this type of testing until the car is 40 years old. If this is true I feel we need to lay down the law to our representatives, and get them thinking right.
     Thanks for listening to be blow off steam.
Charles in Calif.