67 paint question

Don,

BB1 is, indeed, black monotone paint so it seems that the car left the
factory as a black one.

People change their minds and orders do get screwed up though, so the
car may have passed through the paint booth twice.

One of my 61 Continentals did just that.  All the documentation says
black paint and that includes the broadcast sheet and the "fender" tag.
The car was definitely painted white first, though.  And there wasn't
any primer shot between the white and the black so every nick shows up
terribly.  I pulled the whole dash on the car to fix a factory defect
(pinched wire) and the car was even black over white back there, too.
As one of the very last 61s built, it is quite possible that a late
order for a black car caused the color change.

More recently my brother ordered a 96 Dodge Ram pickup and initially
picked a dark forest green color.  After seeing so many on the road, he
changed his mind and called the dealer to select moss green.  When his
truck arrived on the lot it was moss green but the door jambs and
underhood areas showed evidence that it was originally painted the
forest green color.

Chances are that your car had something similar happen.  Scape some
black paint under the sill plates or behind the kick panels and see
what's hiding under there.

Pete in PA
Engel lover, no matter the hood ornament