power steering noise

It might not be operative in this case, but I've noticed that many of the newer vehicles (with rack and pinion power steering) can be subject to similar noises.  In one case, from a poster in the Chrysler Usenet newsgroup, all it took was to flush the system with new fluid (genuine power steering fluid and not a universal fluid), which he had done at the dealership.  Many dealerships have access to a power steering flush "kit" that is a detergent of sorts that apparently cleans out the residual wax buildup in the system (as GM and Chrysler power steering fluid usually has a bit of wax in it).  Sometimes, just new (approved and correct) fluid might quieten them down.  Othertimes, it took the flush procedure.  Not sure if that might work in these cases, when air or a bad pump were the main contributors to a moaning pump (which it seemed that many Fords did anyway).

Just some thoughts,
W Bell