Questions on 1962 engine mods

Hi all,

   Thanks for the reply's last week to a few of my questions. My cousin and
I were hard at work over the weekend on the car I picked up in a trade.

   The last time the car has been registered was in 1976 and while the
interior is pretty clean, the engine compartment had been home to rats at
some point judging by the pile rat guano on the manifold and whatever
crevices were glogged with years of spider silk looking like cotton balls. I
had decided to pull everything out and rebuild everything which will let me
clean out the engine compartment at the same time.. Have started with the
air cleaner and carb which both look new afer the carb kit and bead blast
treatment and paint on the air cleaner. I cant wait untill the whole car
looks as nice as those two pieces we have done so far.

I am going to mildly customize the car though and need some info about what
components I can replace to achieve my goals.

1. I would like dual exhaust with long cherry bombs to get a low rumble, so
would headers cause me any issues with the carb? (will I have to rejet?)

2. I would like to put in a little bit hotter cam in the car as well since I
am rebuilding the motor anyway... has anyone done it and can you suggest one
and a source? When doing the cam will I need to replace anything else in the
motor to match the cam? (lifters/pushrods etc)

3. Where is a good place to get an engine rebuild kit and should I wait
untill I have the case vatted and check the cylinders in case they need
boring? I have rebuilt 1 jetski motor and 1 VW bug motor and this is my
first V8 and I am pretty excited to dive into it.

I realize that restoration purists would advise me to restore it original
for resale value and history, and I am going to mostly, but I would like it
to have just a little bit of a rockabilly edge. I have fallen in love with
the lines on this car and see the coolest cruiser when I get her done.

Any other suggestions are welcome as I am sure there are a ton of people on
here that know a lot about these cars and motors. I will not be modifying
the body nor the dash except we have kicked around the idea of trying to
suicide the back doors.

Thanks for any info anyone can give!
Stu
Arlington, Tx