67 Imperial Rear speaker

No risk in using a larger magnet, I should think,  just not so much volume.

Smaller magnet takes less electrical force to vibrate.  It will thus go louder with a particular amount of current.  Your front speaker "weighs" less to push around and thus goes louder when run in the same car with another, more modern speaker that "weighs" more.

You should be OK.

I suggest the smaller speaker magnet based on the assumption that giving the radio as close to what it expects and was designed for is the safest way to insulate myself from some principal or limitation unknown to me that could cause problems.  I work in the Audiovisual business, and know of no reason that this could be a problem, but as with mounting larger or smaller tires onto a car where the speedo is thrown off as a first sign, you never know what else is wearing that is unseen.

The guys that have the compact trucks that have the great big tires, for example are wearing their drivelines at an accelerated rate according to a buddy that's into that sort of thing.  The engineers intended the driveline to have a certain size or range of size tires, and exceeding that induces accelerated wear.  Hence the aftermarket parts to beef things up.

I have to assume that the engineers "expected" a certain type of speaker, and tried to get as close to that as possible to try to avoid later headaches.  This goes along with the thinking that you rarely see old cars that were previously modified for sale (hotrods excluded), like the Chargers with the huge tires and such from the 1970's.  It's the original survivors that are left stock that have the highest chances of survival as they are left to do what they do in the configuration that they were designed to be in.  Hope that makes sense.  I REALLY, REALLY don't want to start debating what aftermarket parts do to various cars, just trying to support my logic for sticking as close to the original design as possible.

Don't worry about your "different" rear speaker unless you want to.

-Kenyon

DONALDDICKINSOND@xxxxxx wrote:
Very interesting discussion of front speaker replacement/repair for 67 imperial.  Let me ask the experts on the rear seat speaker for my 67 convertible.  The rear. as opposed to the front, was a standard size which I picked up at Radio shack, my questions:

1) How am I sure the speaker is connected correctly (polarity)?

2) I did not get a "small magnet" but the radio seems to drive it OK (except front to back balance favors the front speaker) what is risk of driving the larger mag?

Don Dickinson
Prospect, KY

1955 Imperial Newport, Canyon Tan and Desert Sand
1967 Imperial Custom Convertible, Ivory and Burgundy