67imperial dash speaker

These are a funky size and probably unobtainable.

I took the old basket out of my 1960 and took it to Radio Shack.
I bought the cheapest round speaker that I could find that did not exceed the original in diameter.  You want cheap as the radio deos not have enough power to drive a more modern speaker with a heaveier magnet.  Look at what comes out for reference.  Look at the magnet on the new ones and get the smallest magnet that you can.

I then took the original and new items to a place that does furnace ductwork.

They were able to cut out a piece of thin sheet metal slightly larger than the original speaker.  They then had a tool that would cut a hole (any size) in the sheet metal correct for the speaker.  Drill some holes in the sheetmetal to mount the speaker, drill some holes in the sheetmetal that equal the original speaker and you're almost done.

You want to spray the metal black.
Then use silicone to seal the speaker into the metal and the metal onto the dash, as you want the air that is vibrating on one side of the speaker not to be in contact with the air on the other side of the speaker as it operates, just as on your home speakers that are in boxes.

Screw in and you're good to go.

If you're really precise, you can cover the rig with black speaker grille cloth, but the stock speaker grille should obscure your work if everything is sprayed black underneath.

Go get 'em!

A65INDYPACECAR@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hello folks, Anyone know the replacement size of the factory dash speaker? AND a good place in So Calif to buy 1? I wanna get this thing back together so I can drive it again. Thanks for any help.
Jason Beinbrech

Kenyon Wills
San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

1973 Chrysler Imperial  LeBaron>http://imperialclub.com/Yr/1973/Wills/index.htm