Smoke From Air Vent on my '67

My problem with the heater core theory is: 1) the heater was "off" when I observed the "smoke".  2) when the heater was "on" and I was losing coolant onto my garage floor none was on my carpet.  Wouldn't a leaky core leak onto the carpet?

Not necessarily. If the leak is still small the water will run out the spillway for the A/C evaporator.  See if the coolant is coming out from there and you will confirm your bad heater core.

              Steve B.