  From: SFSurfDude@xxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 9:15 PM
  Subject: IML: Broken Bolt removal

  Hello...
  I am attempting to remove as mentioned before a broken bolt which is
snapped off while loosening it. It is broken at the top of the threaded area
on the pulley bolt for the fan. It is holding the left side of the water
pump in place. Bolt is approx. 4 inches in length, 3.60 of it I have in
hand. Obviously to get to that broken threaded area in the block I have
removed all components in the way etc.
  As I feared initially, the other pulley bolt which is still intact looks
as if it is due to play a repeat preformance of the first bolt. I have tried
an entire can of penetrant over a two week period. I have applied propane
torch heat to the exposed bolt which s I mentioned is still intact. Nothing,
no results. period.
  I am in the high desert, not within the LA Valley where I could take the
car in on a 40 - 60 tow to a place that does the removal by zapping the bolt
away in bits, forgot the name of the process.
  So it looks as though its "old school".
  Along with my fire extinguisher I fearfully heat this bolt inches away
from the fuel pump. Its smoking like crazy, well at least the first 20
minutes it was.
  I have also hammered on the end of the bolt as my experience has shown
that works from time to time. Even the old tighten it slightly, it doesnt
budge.
  Any suggestions? Maybe weld the pulley till I do the rebuild, Nah...

  Regards,

  Patrick Williams

  High Desert, Southern California
  65 Ford F 350 Super Duty Dually