400 engine numbers

Patrick,

The only terribly important info is the engine displacement and the part
number.

The 3614230-6 is the casting number, the suffix being the number of
cylinder core changes that have taken place in that mold.  (Or so I have
heard).  Lower numbers are supposedly better so 6 is good.

The 2G219194 is the partial VIN of the vehicle in which the engine was
originally installed.  The first 2 is for 1972, the G is for St Louis,
and the 219194 is the sequence number of the vehicle.  I'm not sure
which vehicles were built in St Louis in 1972, but I think it was the
Belvedere/Satellite/Coronet/Charger B body line.  This is all
interesting trivia but largely irrelevant to a potential buyer unless
the engine is an HP version that a restorer is trying to find for his
project.

The 7-71 is probably the casting date, but usually month, day and year
are given.  Did you get the whole date?

The other thing a buyer will look for is the date code with displacement
and assembly date.  That is found on the boss at the front of the RH
cylinder bank.  See here for an example, this one from a 1970 383:

http://www.bos-engel.com/demon340/383pad.jpg

Pete in PA