radio interchange

Many Chrysler factory radios will interchange for many years (maybe back to the 1974 change?).  Key thing is that the faceplate is either square or rounded on the edges (some of the rounded-edge models also have curved faceplates instead of flat).  As long as the mounting bolt flanges are in the same place, it'll probably work as most of them had the same chassis size behind the faceplate.

What DID change is the wiring.  There should be a wiring diagram on the radio somewhere near the harness connector.  If you see only one wire going to a respective rear speaker, that means the vehicle used "self-grounding" rear speakers (something that GM did in the 1970s).  This is no major situation as all you have to do is correctly phase the rear speakers (using a D or C cell battery and some wire to make sure the voice coil moves the same direction as the other one does) and then put the one wire to one of the two terminals and then use a separate wire to put on the other terminal and then attach it to one of the speaker mounting bolts/studs, using an eyelet terminal).

The other thing is that the rear harness connection was changed sometime in the later 1980s or early 1990s.  You can buy those harness pigtails at stereo shops or Best Buy or similar.

As for the early Infinity radios, like the similar BOSE units back then, the instrument panel radio might have had a small amp in it, but EACH SPEAKER in the Infinity factory systems had their own respective amp.  If you replaced one of those Infinity speaker/amps with a regular speaker, basically "no sound", for example.  This item alone might be a significant factor in any radio change on those vehicles.  If putting a non-Infinity radio in, you'd need to swap all of the speakers for it to work as designed, sound wise.

Some of those radios also had a plug on the back of them for a remote CD player.  It'll be a little round plug about the size of a dime on the back of the radio.  Those factory remote CDs would operate through the radio as if they were integral with the radio.  I suspect many would have integral cassette units, though, as CDs were not really going full blast back then.

Also, there might be some Mopar accessory radios floating around out there too.  Not sure about their interchanges, but I guess the main thing would be if the rear plug-in works and the face plate is correct for your vehicle, they might work, but finding Chrysler/Mopar documentation of what works might be necessary.

Getting one of those Infinity radios repaired might be a pain.  We had a T&C van come through the used car lot that had a radio problem.  It had to be sent to Denver for repairs as most repair parts were not available.  Took some time, it failed the final quality control check a few times too, which further extended the time the customer's wife's van had no radio (she even made him drive it!).  Seems that anything built by Alpine (including the OEM radios of other manufacturers) had to go through this one repair station (for our region) and it just took time.  If we'd found a NOS radio and it broke, we'd been in the same situation.  End result, we sent the customer to a local stereo shop (who'd been in this situation before) and said "Fix it and send us a bill".

Hope this helps,
W Bell