Imperial 1993 Questions...

on 13/03/04 10:13, Brad Hogg at roadhogg@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Welcome to the list, Laurent.  Interesting that I bought my 1990 Imperial
> from a man in St. Laurent, Manitoba.  :-)
>
> Cruise control.  With the car off but key in the run position, doors closed,
> hood up and windows open, turn the cruse on and off a few times and see if
> you can hear a relay clicking.  If you do, that means the system has power.
> With the cruise on, press the other buttons and you should hear at least one
> other cause a relay to click.  If you do, you should be able to assume that
> your buttons are ok.  Take the car out on the road and try to make the
> cruise take hold while you try different steering wheel positions.  The
> connectors in the column can come loose and cause intermittent contact at
> certain tilt positions.  If it takes hold at any of these positions, remove
> the bottom cover from the column (you'll need a T-15 Torx driver and not one
> that has interchangable bits).  You'll have to do visual inspection of the
> wiring to see which connector is intermittent.  While messing around in
> there, be aware of the trip wire for the air bag.  I suggest disconnecting
> the power from the battery while working around the air bag.  If the wiring
> is not the problem, you can easily swap out the vacuum motor that is mounted
> to the battery tray under the hood.  These are easy to find at salvage
> yards.  Of course, check that it isnt just a simple vacuum leak.
>
> Radio.  This is the unit you want.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2465128188&categ
> ory=38640
> Not this one.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2465133447&categ
> ory=38640
> I don't know if you can swap the knobs etc but my guess would be yes.  That
> would not stop me from getting the CD.
>
> Transmission.  The problem with the transmissions in these cars is it
> requires special fluid and Chrysler (in all their wisdom) didn't make that
> clear to the dealers and customers when they started selling them.  The
> fluid is known as ATF+3.  If I were you, having just bought a car that has
> an unknown service record, I would change the transmission filter and fluid
> asap.  Chrysler does have a rubber transmission pan gasket you can use or
> you can just use a good RTV sealant like the factory does.  I've been told
> that Chrysler distributes about the best RTV for this job.  I've also read
> that it is important that the RTV not come in contact with the ATF or
> foaming and possibly tranny damage will result.  I would also change the
> engine oil and filter and put in a good quality name brand oil.  IIRC, these
> engines like 5W30 year round but check your Operator's Manual.
>
> I know nothing about digital display...Tony?
>
> Keyless Entry.  I'm told that keyless entry is a snap to install.  I have a
> resource that can give you the wiring codes required for the job.  I'd go
> [...]

Hi Brad!

Glad to see another active 90s Imperial owner on the list!

I checked for the cruise control. Nothing. No noise of any kind. Seems like
dead. Of course, I checked the fuse and it's fine.

For the radio, would something like this work:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2465480545>?

It has a 5-bands equalizer like in mine while the other one you suggested
has only 3 bands. I noticed that the mounting is not exactly the same,
though.

The oil change has been done last week. I checked the transmission fluid
this morning, after running some errands. The fluid looks new, pure. The
level is fine. So, I'm not sure I want to service the transmission now that
2 different dealers told me to leave it alone. BTW, what is an "RTV"?

The digital display seems to be a bit like a laptop LCD with a stuck pixel,
except that on the Imperial display, the pixel is the whole needle. The
other one seems to work fine, though.

I will have an extensive set of pictures posted soon!

Thanks again!

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software                mailto:laurentdaudelin@xxxxxxxxxxx