aftermarket radio in 1970-style Chrysler instrument panel

aftermarket radio in 1970-style Chrysler instrument panel

I concur, it can be very hard to find something to fit in there without extensive hacking/modification.  The basic rectangular shape of the radio is different than most anything else then or now.  The remote universal CD changer might be the best situation.

From my experience, the sound system in those Chryslers was awesome compared to what as out there back then in other makes of vehicles.  The three front speakers give the occupant a much wider spatial sound than anything that Ford or GM ever had.  Similar in concept to the later Infinity systems in the later LH cars!  Possible to image the whole sound at the windshield too.

Frequency response in those radios was very good too.  Just needs some better speakers to really shine, although the factory speakers were no slouch either.  Of course, high power was not in the mix back then, but if there's cut-outs for two sets of 6x9s under the back deck (as our 1972 Newport had), even the modest power output with even factory speakers will be way too loud for the rear seat occupants plus thump the floorpan on bass notes.  Just some modest dual cones (that don't have massive magnets that take lots of power to run) will probably work fine and maybe some newer 3.5" dual cones in the front corners might help too.  Delco Electronics might have built Chrysler's search-tuners and multiplex radios back then, but they were built to much better specs that what GM paid for in their own cars, by my observation.

Just some thoughts,
W Bell