Imperial Paisley Top; was Re: IML: Rare Imperial

Imperial Paisley Top; was Re: IML: Rare Imperial

The ultra-rare paisley vinyl roof offered on the 1971
Imperial for a couple of months in 1970 is
well-documented on our website at
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/Paisley/index.htm

The pattern of this top was not actually a true
paisley design, but, of course, the name has stuck
over the years.  The correct factory name for the top
was simply "Burgundy," and the code V1M on the
dataplate or build sheet will confirm the originality
of the top on any particular car.

I know of four '71 Imperials (two were painted in
"Sparkling Burgundy Metallic" and one was white) which
had the Burgundy top as original equipment, so the
seller's statement that this car was one of only two
with the top is solidly wrong.  Even so, it's still a
low-production option that was cancelled on November
27, 1970.

If the car has spent much time outside, there's a good
chance that the top will have faded, as a couple of
pictures show on the website listed above.

As far as a value for the car, it is, of course, worth
what ever you're willing to pay for it, but a general
set of guidelines can be found at
http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1971/Prices.htm

Frankly, unless you just have a serious passion for
the Burgundy top, I don't think this option adds a
tremendous amount of value to the car.

Thanks,

Elijah Scott
1965 Imperial LeBaron